Port Talbot 0-6-0ST No. 26 (GWR 813)

This locomotive is a six coupled 0-6-0ST Saddle Tank No.813 under the Great Western Railway numbering system but was built for the Port Talbot Railway & Docks in 1901. The Port Talbot Railway & Docks Company was formed in 1894 to work the docks of the town. The Railway opened several branches especially those to the Llynfi & Garw valleys. This attracted a heavy coal traffic which was dealt with at Duffryn Yard.

In 1901 the PTR ordered a number of small 0-6-0 saddle tank locomotives (six in all) from Hudswell Clark of Leeds & was given the works No. 555/01 & on delivery it became PTR No.26. In this guise it was put to work in Duffryn Yard & served in this capacity until 1908 when the PTR was absorbed into the GWR system. However, no changes were made to the loco at this time until the grouping which brought changes to No.26 in that it was first Westernised & given the GWR number 813.

The GWR decided later however that the older absorbed locos should be sold off out of service & No.813 fund itself on that list in 1934. It was sold to a Backworth Colliery, Northumberland where it was again renumbered as No.12 & remained there for the next 33 years. The No.12 did not stay for long though as when the colliery was absorbed in to the National Coal Board when it was formed in 1947 it became NCB No.11

In 1950 it was fitted with a new boiler & firebox. However the original GWR boiler fittings were retained. As steam working was nearly at an end hastened by the closing of collieries, older locos were withdrawn in the late 1950's & early 60's with 813 lasting until the summer of 1967.

The loco was duly discovered by Mr. Paddy Goss & attempts to preserve it were ultimately successful for he was able, after a great struggle to raise funds as is ever the case in the preservation scene, to purchase the loco. The loco arrived at the Severn Valley Railway in November 1967 with sufficient finance available to pay for the removal charges.

Since that time much loving care & a good deal of money has been spent keeping 813 in its present condition. We hope that you will enjoy seeing 813 back home now to its native haunts after many years.

PTR 26 (GWR 813)

Built Hudswell Clarke, 1900
Withdrawn NCB Backworth, 1967
Owner GWR 813 Preservation Fund
Date moved to SVR November 1967
Previous Location Backworth Colliery
Current Livery GWR Green
Last Overhaul 2000
Wheel Diameter 4 foot inch
Cylinders 16 inch x 24 inch
Boiler Pressure 160 lbs
Tractive Effort 17410 lbs
Weigh (When loaded) 4 tons
Tank Capacity 900 gallons
Coal Capacity 2 tons